The creation of TriondaTM, a FIFA World Cup 26TM full visual identity system and their worldwide famous derived rebranding.

    Over 20 years ago, FIFA World Cup 26TM visual identity was designed taking into account it would take place in three different countries; United States, Canada and México. For that reason, focusing on type, I proposed a full visual identity system with an alphabet and its application. The frase 'We are 26' was for displaying the World Cup 26TM type Family, along with some iconic players names, such as Zico.


Above: FIFA World Cup 26TM brand applied to stadium's cities and as patterns to the already existing traditional hexagon ball design, by Alex Webb.



Above: Evolution of FIFA World Cup 26TM brands  and FIFATM logo applied to its website.


    Brazillian World Cup was designed mockingly in the same batch, as a graphic joke refering to the sad incident regarding the destiny of a past trophy in soccer history, though it looked fresh and naive, not a bad starting point for a serious design. I'm surprized FIFA really used it for the World Cup held in Brazil. 

    Most probably I've sketched that Russia logo too, but, at that time, I was being drugged due to intelectual property stealth and I can't remember everything with precision yet to tell its exactly the same drawing.

    FIFA signature bellow FIFA World Cup 26TM brand, urged for a redesign. FIFATM logo should be simple yet memorable and it took years until they fully adopt it without a complentary drawing. 



Above: Player Lionel Messi holds TriondaTM . Source: promotional material.


    Messi was a promissing starting football player yet and FIFA still held World Cup every two years by then, when I also knew they opened entries for the ball design, which lasted for some World Cup editions.

    TriondaTM design was concerned about reducing surface friction while also paying hommage to the three countries hosting the World Cup 26TM. BrazucaTM and others derived from studies for reaching TriondaTM's final shape. 




Above: BrazucaTM and another ball 3D design created during TriondaTM's ideal shape studies. 
Digital render with flags by JoeSports.


    Although as a composer and screenwriter, as well as in fashion design, I've touched the theme of soccer more than once, I won't mention those works here because they were created under another pseudonym. But design, writing and soccer also went together in an unfinished book project including cover design and contente, which I intended to co-write with a more soccer-savvy friend for the research about Brazillian soccer history.

    As we wait for the finals, I've started to work on a celebrating poster for both Argentina and Spain, as we don't know yet which country will be the winner.

    Check out the full brand cases on my portfolio pages:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIFA World Cup 26

TriondaTM

FIFA Logo